Instead of doing the normal round-up of Friday Sweet and Lovely Finds, I wanted to highlight a few of my favorite Ikea finds. I’ve been working on a renovation project with a homeowner on a very tight budget, so we’ve all had to get a little creative about how to keep costs down.
She’s found some items at Ikea that are just terrific — good looking and not expensive. Ikea just always seems to get it right!
If you’re working on a renovation project (or thinking about starting one soon) here are a few great items to consider:
1. Ikea DOMSJO Sinks. These are AWESOME. So affordable ($185 for the single, $313 for the double) and look so beautiful installed. The exposed front (farm-sink) style is a sophisticated detail. Plus, the drains are kept toward the back, instead of placed in the center, which will give you more room below for storage (meaning: the pipes will be more out of the way below.) A good choice for any renovation project.
2. Ikea NUMERAR Oak Countertops: These wood countertops are so affordable — they work out to be about $10-11/square foot (for the Oak.) They can be bought in long slabs, cut to any length, sanded and treated however you’d like. After years of use, they can be sanded down and refinished to make them look brand new again. This is a great find — available in Oak, Beech, or Birch.
3. Ikea LANSA Handle: Instantly transform your cabinets with these little handles. They come in five lengths, ranging from $3.50 to $6.50 each, which makes it very easy to afford new hardware for your kitchen.
4. Ikea EXPEDIT Shelving Unit: The most amount of storage you can buy for $199. And so functional. These are wide enough that they can be use as stand-alone units, to function as a room dividers, or placed against a wall for more conventional storage. I have one of these unit and absolutely LOVE it.
5. Ikea TEKLA Dish Towel: This is my own personal favorite Ikea item. These dish towels are $.79 each and they’re good for just about everything. The more you use and wash them, the more absorbent they become. I stock up on these whenever I’m at Ikea (which will be this weekend — Ikea trip on Saturday. Very exciting!)