I don’t know about you guys, but I think it’s time for a new year detox! I’ve had enough cookies, cheesecake, champagne, and cheese and chocolate fondue to last me through all of 2012. So, in an effort to lighten my next few meals, here’s a terrific fruit salad recipe that is easy and delicious. The mint and honey are the best part — giving the fruit a lovely, sophisticated flavor — with an extra hint of sweetness! It would be a big hit at any brunch this month.
Fruit Salad with Mint and Honey, from Food Network (with some of my own slight modifications)
- 1 mango
- 1 container strawberries
- 2 kiwis
- 1 banana
- 2 naval oranges
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 to 5 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 cup blueberries
1. Peel and dice the mango, and put in a medium bowl.
2. Trim the strawberries’ stems and half or quarter, if large. Add to the bowl of fruit.
3. Peel and dice the kiwi, add to bowl.
4. Peel and slice the bananas, add to bowl.
5. Cut the top and bottom off the oranges just deep enough to expose the inner fruit. Following the curve of the fruit cut the skin and pith off the orange in panels. Holding the orange over the bowl cut between the membranes to free the citrus segments. Let them fall into the bowl as they are cut free. By hand, squeeze all the juice from the remaining membrane over the fruit, then discard. Repeat with the other orange.
6. Lightly stir the honey into the fruit.
7. Strip the mint leaves off the stem, tear, or chop into smaller pieces, and stir into the fruit salad.
8. Add the berries and set aside for 10 minutes or up to 2 hours. Serve and enjoy!
[photo found here]